Our Worship Service
Inspiring, Relevant, and Authentic
Worship is the most important element of the life of the church and therefore central to church growth. At its core, worship needs to be inspiring, relevant, and create an authentic spirit of devotion. St. Michael’s liturgical style is a combination of classical and contemporary elements that foster a user friendly, upbeat and welcoming spiritual experience.
One concrete means by which St. Michaels creates such an atmosphere is in the use of a printed worship bulletin. This enables everyone to follow the Anglican worship liturgy easily, even those who are not schooled in Anglican traditions. The result is a spirit of communal worship from which no one is excluded and in which all can participate with confidence.
Our Worship at St. Michael is “liturgical”–meaning that we follow an ancient pattern that Christians have been following on Sunday mornings for centuries. That pattern can appear to be somewhat complex at times but really boils down to 1. Reading God’s Holy Word and 2. Sharing in the Breaking of the Bread or Holy Communion.
Fr. Randall Foster is the pastor of St. Michael's.
The Rev. Randall W. Foster is a presbyter in the Anglican Church in North America. He also serves as a teacher at Gracewood Academy in Bedford, where he teaches Social Studies and English Language Arts.
Father Foster was born in northeast Tarrant County and grew up in Bedford, Texas. He graduated from L.D. Bell High School in Hurst, Texas in 1983.
Fr. Foster received his Bachelor of Arts degree Magna cum laude from Rice University with a double major in History and Anthropology. He holds the degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence, cum laude, from the University of Houston Law Center and a Master of Theological Studies degree from Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University. He also holds a Master of Liberal Studies degree in intellectual history from Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
Fr. Foster has also undertaken extensive course work at the graduate level in European History (UT-Austin) and New Testament and Early Christian Literature (The University of Chicago). He has a reading knowledge of French, German, Biblical Hebrew, Classical and Koine Greek, and Latin. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa (Beta chapter of Texas at Rice).
He was ordained a priest by Bishop Jack Leo Iker of Fort Worth in 2007. He served for nine years as a chaplain at St Vincent's School in Bedford, where he also taught secondary-level Social Studies, as well as several other subjects, for 12 years. He became the priest-in-charge at St. Michael's Anglican Church in Richland Hills in 2014.
"I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39
St. Michael Church began in April 1947 as a mission in the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas. The mission was named The Church of the Good Shepherd and met in the boyhood home of Fred A. Lewis at 2763 Noble Street, Fort Worth, which he donated to the mission for use as a church. Initially there were 14 communicants, which grew to 29 by January 1949.
The annual Diocesan Convention of The Episcopal Diocese of Dallas changed the church's name to St Michael’s Episcopal Church. The mission continued to grow and became a Parish with 165 communicants by January 1952. Having outgrown their building on Noble Street, St Michael’s moved to 3001 Bewley Street in Haltom City, a location better suited for growth.
From 1952 to 1972 St. Michael’s grew and required additional space to support the communicants and school children.
In 1972 St. Michael’s and St. Nicholas Mission joined at our current location, 3800 Popplewell Street, Richland Hills. The two parishes remodeled a house to accommodate their needs for a Sunday School building. (That building has since been remodeled again into our rectory.)
At the Diocesan Convention of 1973 the two churches officially became St. Michael’s Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Dallas. After merging, St. Michael Episcopal Church had about 400 communicants with a church school of 100 children and 12 teachers.
The Diocese of Fort Worth was formed in 1983 out of the Diocese of Dallas. The new Diocese was located in the western portion of North Central Texas.
In 2008 the Diocese of Fort Worth separated from The Episcopal Church due to a shift in doctrine and practice by The Episcopal Church that abandons or ignores traditional teaching and discipline and aligned itself with The Anglican Church of the Southern Cone and the Anglican Church of North America.